What is sleep Apnea? And how can we help?
Sleep Apnea is a serious sleep disorder. It happens when a person’s breathing is interrupted during sleep. People with sleep apnea stop breathing several times during their sleep. Even though this process can happen hundreds of times each night most people are not aware that it is happening.
OSA (Obstructive sleep Apnea) occurs when the tongue and soft palate collaspe onto the back of the throat, blocking air flow into the lungs. This causes micro arousals, can happen up to 300 times/night). The person does not necessarily physically awaken to realize that this is happening. However the blockage of oxygen deprives the person of the essential REM sleep and causes a list of problems associated with chronic lack of proper sleep.
10 signs you may have OSA
- Daytime sleepiness
- Grinding teeth at night
- Energy loss
- Unrefreshed feeling
- Morning headache
- Memory loss
OSA: Stats and Facts
- 1 in 5 adults have it’
- 30 million Americans snore
- Fewer than 10% have been diagnosed
- OSA increases the risk of heart attack, hypertension, congestive heart failure, stroke, diabetes, reflux, impotence, motor vechile accidents
- Your partner can lose 1 hour or more of sleep due to snoring
How can we Help?
There is over 20 years of evidence supporting the effectiveness of oral appliances. this specially designed mouthpiece fits over your teeth and is custom made for you by a licensed dentist who has advanced training in Dental Sleep Medicine. The custom designed orthotic device ensures an open airway allowing normal air flow to the lungs as you sleep.
Treatment is simple and can be completed in a few appointments.
Oral appliance benefits
- Covered by most medical insurances
- Higher compliance rate than CPAP theraphy
- Easy to use and comfortable to wear
- A better night’s sleep
- Less snoring
- May help improve the sleep of your partner
- Improved day time functioning
- Easy to travel with